[Catalyst] [SOT] cat webmail app?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:57:13 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
> I think I've done my due diligence.  I've searched using Google and looked
> through the cat website but haven't found any info on a cat based webmail
> interface.  Heck even Perl based is tough.  And webmail may be the wrong
> term.
>
> Anyone aware of a or working on a cat application to access IMAP/SMTP
> servers?  Most of the webmail applications I could find information on were
> designed to run on the mailbox server itself, used LDAP, and POP3.
>
> I'm looking for something that can run on any server and uses IMAP to access
> the the mail.  Being able to use a separate outbound SMTP server, verses
> using the web server, would be nice too.
>
> I know all the pieces are available but a completely or mostly round wheel
> to start with would be great.
>
> If there is nothing available I'm thinking of starting with CaMail
> (http://freshmeat.net/projects/camail/) and bending it into Catalyst. Any
> thoughts on this?
>

> TIA,
> Rod
> --

To do it right, completely forget about Catalyst.  Perhaps work with
the Perl Email Project
(http://emailproject.perl.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page) to build
a comprehensive package that does what you would expect a "webmail"
client requires.

Then, just a simple adapter class to use that model will bind it into
Catalyst and away you go with a webmail client.

Quite an undertaking though, but doing it in the above manner will get
you better results (as well as potential additional contributors)

-J