[Catalyst] Re: list of perl-*.rpm files for a basic Cat install

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Mon Aug 18 20:10:07 BST 2008

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-08-18 12:00]:
> Leave the system perl on there for system-provided things that
> depend on perl.
>
> Build your own applications perl for your applications.
>
> You are allowed more than one perl on a system. I've got over a
> dozen on the Shadowcat dev server and I know of people with
> many more than that.

FWIW, Dermot, I also suggest you go down this road. There are lot
of reasons to do it that way. A major reason is that shoehorning
CPAN into the distributor’s packaging model is always a bad fit
because CPAN has no release process and every author handles API
stability differently. You want full control over which version
of which modules you install. (Strictly speaking you even want
to keep your own vetted CPAN mirror. :-) )

None of this, btw, is difficult.

Regards,