[Catalyst] PostgreSQL Conference: West

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 00:14:43 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Joshua Drake <jd at commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a PostgreSQL Community Conference happening in Portland,
> Oregon in a couple of months. It would be great if we could get a
> Catalyst developer who preferred PostgreSQL to give a talk... Here is
> the announcement of the call for talks:
>
> The second annual PostgreSQL Conference: West is being held on October
> 10th through October 12th 2008 in the The Native American Student &
> Community Center at Portland State University.
>
> We are currently accepting papers and you can submit your talks here:
>
> http://www.postgresqlconference.org/west08/talk_submission/
>
> We have already seen submissions on Tsearch2 as well as pgTap. Do you
> have something you would like to share about PostgreSQL? Now is the
> time!
>
> This year West will be providing its proceeds to the Postgresql.us.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I'm local, and definitely prefer Pg even though I find myself stuck
with MySQL rather too frequently. I don't know if I can commit to a
talk right now, but I can help out getting you a speaker if I can't do
it myself.

However, one of the problems you may find from the Catalyst side of
things is that we tend to forget the particulars of various databases
because DBIx::Class, SQL::Abstract and SQL::Translator take a lot of
the pain from being cross-database compatible out of the mix.

Happy to give a talk on painless scaffolding using some various CRUD
and DBIx::Class stuff, that works very well with PostgreSQL (my
current fascination is REST-based stuff, and am quite fond of
Catalyst::Controller::DBIC::API)

Anybody else have any thoughts?