[Catalyst] PostgreSQL Conference: West

Joshua Drake jd at commandprompt.com
Wed Aug 20 01:36:14 BST 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 16:14:43 -0700
"J. Shirley" <jshirley at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm local, and definitely prefer Pg even though I find myself stuck
> with MySQL rather too frequently. I don't know if I can commit to a
> talk right now, but I can help out getting you a speaker if I can't do
> it myself.

Thanks!

> However, one of the problems you may find from the Catalyst side of
> things is that we tend to forget the particulars of various databases
> because DBIx::Class, SQL::Abstract and SQL::Translator take a lot of
> the pain from being cross-database compatible out of the mix.

Right, that is the constant issue with all the toolkits. My mind is
something that provides an introduction to Catalyst (which is good for
Catalyst) but also, "Why use Catalyst with PostgreSQL?". What kind of
cool features can Catalyst (and is associated libs) expose that
developers might be missing.

> Happy to give a talk on painless scaffolding using some various CRUD
> and DBIx::Class stuff, that works very well with PostgreSQL (my
> current fascination is REST-based stuff, and am quite fond of
> Catalyst::Controller::DBIC::API)

That would be very cool!

> Anybody else have any thoughts?

Sincerely,