[Catalyst] Intermittent blank pages

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Thu Aug 28 23:41:21 BST 2008

On 28 Aug 2008, at 19:32, Wade.Stuart at fallon.com wrote:
>> That was my guess, too. But if the problem is really situated
>> there it
>> should
>> have occurred much earlier. Nothing dramatically changed in our
>> setup or
>> application. I'll try a rollback of the Rose::HTML::Form module to
>> eliminate it
>> from the equation. Any other thoughts are still greatly appreciated!

Are you leaking memory (or is Rose leaking memory for you)? Using
something like Devel::Leak::Object could help you here..

Assuming your issue doesn't fall that easily, you need to instrument
the app in some way, and analyze it's behavior.

Questions you should be working out how to answer:

. Is the memory useage is going up gradually, or in steps?
. How often are processes getting killed?
. Is the memory useage associated with some of your app's URLs /
queries, but not others?

Why not try doing something like printing the requested URL, any
other relevant info, and the total memory size of the process, and
amount it climbed by this hit to the error log for each hit? (A
closure to hold how much RAM you were using last time, and cribbing
the source of Apache2::SizeLimit to work out how it works it's magic
are your friends here).

Cheers
t0m