[Catalyst] Catalyst modperl - child process segmentation fault

Toby Corkindale toby.corkindale at strategicdata.com.au
Mon Dec 8 23:13:13 GMT 2008

Terence Monteiro wrote:
> Toby Corkindale wrote:
>> Terence Monteiro wrote:
>>> I'm running my Catalyst application on apache2 using modperl with mysql
>>> database accessed by DBIx::SearchBuilder. I'm getting the message in the
>>> apache2 error logs:
>>>
>>> child pid 1140 exit signal Segmentation fault (11), possible core dump
>>> in /tmp

]snip]
>> Ugh.. Dumping core? That's rather drastic!
>>
>> What versions of DBI and DBD::mysql are you running?
>> And is DBD::mysql linked against the same mysql client libraries as
>> mod_php?
>
> Thanks, Toby
>
> DBD::mysql version: 4.008
> DBI version:        1.607
> libapache2-mod-php5 version: 5.2.0-8+etch10
>
> How can I find out the mysql client libraries DBD::mysql and mod_php are
> linked with? What you say is possible because I upgraded DBD::mysql from
> the latest debian sources in unstable, but not (yet) mod_php. But I don't
> understand why mod_php should matter.

Could you humour me, and try disabling PHP in Apache, and then seeing if
that stops the Catalyst app crashing?

I think you can do it by 'rm /etc/apache/mods-enabled/*php*.load' or
something very similar?

To check the actual versions of libraries used, you can do:
ldd /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_php*.so
ldd /usr/lib/perl5/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so
(At least I'm pretty sure that's where the files should be on debian etch)

But if you've recompiled dbd::mysql from source, and not mod_php, then
I'll bet this IS the problem. Sorry.

-Toby

--
Strategic Data Pty Ltd