[Catalyst] ModPerl catapp and SSLVerifyClient

Toby Corkindale tjc at wintrmute.net
Sat Feb 9 09:21:41 GMT 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 03:50:19PM -0500, John Lifsey - Contractor - wrote:
> This is really more of an Apache question, but I was hoping one of you guys
> may have run into it in the past. I have a MP Cat application running in
> <Location /> The application needs for Clients to identify themselves via
>
> SSLVerifyClient require
>
> but the monitoring system needs to be able to access the site via SSL but
> without a client certificate. Is there a way to change the configuration
> based on the client's IP range, or some other semi-clever apache config
> that will allow the application to stay in a Location / block?

It's been a while since I've used one, but I believe you can attach mod_perl
handlers to various stages of the Apache pipeline, including authentication, so
you might be able to write some logic there.

See http://www.modperl.com/book/chapters/ch6.html

Although I don't know if you can fire one of those off early enough for SSL.

Toby