[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Francesc Romà i Frigolé francesc.roma+catalyst at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 19:16:52 GMT 2008

John's book has been very useful, and still is, as I'm now using it as a
reference, even though as others have pointed out it's more of a tutorial
than a reference.

Still, there are some topics I wish they were covered at more depth: the
fundamental stuff and the more advanced stuff.

Fundamental: knowledge of TT and DBIx::Class are needed to really take
advantage of catalyst. While there is a book on TT, afaik there is none on
DBIx::Class. I know that those are independent projects and it is possible
to use catalyst with other views and ORMs, but this two are the de facto
standards in this community. OTH I prefer thin books, so maybe, what I'm
actually asking for is a DBIx::Class book :)

Advanced: AJAX and forms. dynamic web pages are more than hot web topics.
There are many options available for catalyst, and none of them seem nearly
as "standard" as TT or DBIC, so it would be nice to have a book explaining
the different options for building complex interactive forms. Since those
are in fact hot topics there is a lot of literature that covers them, I just
don't know how relevant they are when it comes to developing with catalyst.
If there are relevant books I'd be happy to hear about them.