[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 19:51:54 GMT 2008

> Matt S Trout wrote:
>> Since a fair few of you will now have John's book, I figured it was time
>> to ask what you'd want from a second book.

I don't know if my suggestions are good, but here they are:

- Sample configurations for a simple Catalyst app to work with mod_perl,
with mod_fastcgi, mod_fcgid, ways of using mod_proxy and other front-end
servers and tips, suggestions and recommendations for using these
combinations, sample of a Catalyst app and the necessary configuration and
steps that should be followed for running the app from a PAR archive;

- Using Catalyst with AJAX modules, with sample code that works (even in
Windows if possible :-), with recommendations for the best JS library for
some things (like a table that refreshes the data, a dynamic combobox, a
tree view, a menu, etc);

- Using web services in a Catalyst app (maybe even a SOAP that's compatible
with Java and .net also);

- Recommendations and maybe samples for creating sites that allow using more
templates, more languages, more subdomains;

- Things about the recommended way of creating a site with more users which
have more permissions, and with groups of users that have also their
permissions;

- Productivity tips - recommended ways of creating the forms automaticly;

- More tips and shortcuts for using DBIC and maybe Moose.

Good luck!

Octavian