[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Daniel Hembree danny-hembree at dynamical.org
Sun Feb 24 19:11:37 GMT 2008

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Since a fair few of you will now have John's book, I figured it was time
> to ask what you'd want from a second book.
>
> I guess the existing one provides a pretty good tutorial style, so we should
> be looking at something more in-depth / intermediate to advanced.
>
> What do you guys think?

I found the book helpful in the sense that it pulled together things
that were spread out amongst the documentation and went a little more
into things than the current docs do. But it was a tutorial, I was
hoping for more about how the the tool works so I don't have to keep
going to the docs each time I need to figure out how to do something.
There are lots of "cookbook" type examples on the site so I don't agree
that's what's needed. Between the book and what's currently available on
the site, I think the how-to and tutorial type of thing is well
represented. I suppose you can never have to much of that though.

I especially have a hard time with using DBIx, that's probably a book by
itself. The exception handling, as mentioned earlier, could use some
elucidation. I also second more treatment of web services and SOAP. But,
currently SOAP isn't supported as I understand it. I find flow control
of the application confusing as well. This type of confusion might clear
up if I understood the internals of Catalyst better.