[Catalyst] Book

Thomas L. Shinnick tshinnic at io.com
Mon Feb 25 15:25:17 GMT 2008

At 08:09 AM 2/25/2008, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am considering getting the Catalyst book and had a question or 2.
>Should it be bought from the Packt publishing site as opposed to
>anywhere else? Does buying it there help the catalyst project in
>some way more than buying it at another site that perhaps I am
>already registered on? I have been working my way though the sample
>chapter (3). I found it easier to follow then the tutorial that
>comes with the documentation. However the reviews at
><http://Amazon.co.uk>Amazon.co.uk are a little negative. What does
>the list think about the books.
>
>Thanx,
>Dp.

Whoa, just read those.  Rough.  Does fast to print meant skipping
some steps?  I'm still going to buy the book, after the previous
posters question is answered (how _best_ to buy).

I wish I knew more about publishing, because I've been intrigued by,
evidently, how hard it is to get right.  Even my most recent
purchase, RESTful Web Services (O'Reilly) had irritating glitches.

Is it the case that, along with every other industry shifting more
and more responsibilities onto the lowest levels, that now the author
has to "do it all"?  Not only write and organize perfectly, but
arrange their own set of editors, reviewers, and proof-readers?  If
so, can they ask for volunteers?  I fix Wikipedia stuff for free, and
helping on something like this would actually benefit me...

--
I'm a pessimist about probabilities; I'm an optimist about possibilities.
     Lewis Mumford  (1895-1990)