[Catalyst] Book

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Mon Feb 25 19:09:03 GMT 2008

* On Mon, Feb 25 2008, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Dermot wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am considering getting the Catalyst book and had a question or
>> 2. Should it be bought from the Packt publishing site as opposed to
>> anywhere else? Does buying it there help the catalyst project in
>> some way more than buying it at another site that perhaps I am
>> already registered on? I have been working my way though the sample
>> chapter (3). I found it easier to follow then the tutorial that
>> comes with the documentation. However the reviews at Amazon.co.uk
>> <http://Amazon.co.uk> are a little negative. What does the list
>> think about the books.
>
> Well, it COULD be better. It COULD have smaller introduction (which
> gives nothing besides web-published intros), and sample code presented
> in archive on a site is awful - I cannot 'just unpack and play'. But
> it surely worth its money

You should get the code from my site, not from Packt.  They're
braindead, I'm not :)

    http://jrock.us/Catalyst-Book-Code-20080131.tar.gz

As for the negative reviews, not everyone is going to like every book.
Some reviewers wanted a book that's readable by people who don't know
Perl.  My book is not that book.  Some reviewers wanted a book that was
API documentation instead of tutorials.  Again, that's the exact
opposite of my book.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway