[Catalyst] Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema Cpan Installation Error

MARK markjdz at optonline.net
Thu Feb 28 21:09:21 GMT 2008

Hi,

      I just got Jonathan Rockway's Catalyst book and am trying to
set up a Catalyst environment on my computer - a Mac G5 PowerPC
running OS X 10.4.11 with Perl 5.8.6. I installed Catalyst using the
Shadowcat Catalyst installer. Then I installed some individual
modules mentioned in the book using, for example, sudo perl -MCPAN -e
'install DBD::SQLite'. I had no problem until I tried to install
Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema and got an error. I'm not sure what to
look for in the error message, but I think the following is the
relevant bit:

#   Failed test 'use Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema;'
#   at t/01use.t line 4.
#     Tried to use 'Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema'.
#     Error:  Base class package "Class::Data::Accessor" is empty.
#     (Perhaps you need to 'use' the module which defines that
package first.)
#  at /Users/markyeager/.cpan/build/Catalyst-Model-DBIC-Schema-0.20-
ky5tob/blib/lib/Catalyst/Model/DBIC/Schema.pm line 8

I thought that might mean that it failed because
Class::Data::Accessor wasn't on the system - though I also thought it
would load it if it was needed - so I tried to install
Class::Data::Accessor, and that also failed. Here is what I got from
that:

Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'inc', 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t t/*/*.t
Can't open t/*/*.t. No such file or directory
Cannot determine source for t/*/*.t at /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/
Test/Harness.pm line 168
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
   CLACO/Class-Data-Accessor-0.04001.tar.gz
   /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
//hint// to see the cpan-testers results for installing this module,
try:
   reports CLACO/Class-Data-Accessor-0.04001.tar.gz
Running make install
   make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

I looked at Harness.pm, but couldn't figure out anything from that.

So can anyone give me some pointers on how I can install
Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema? Looking on the web, I saw that someone
was having problems installing DBIx::Class because of some
incompatibility with JSon; I was able to install DBIx::Class without
a problem, but thought there might be some sort of similar
compatibility issue with Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema.

I also tried 'notest install' for Catalyst::Model::DBIC::Schema and
Class::Data::Accessor and got the same errors.

Thanks for your consideration.

Mark