[Catalyst] The performance test of 6 leading frameworks

Mike Whitaker mike at altrion.org
Fri Feb 29 16:41:40 GMT 2008

On 29 Feb 2008, at 16:21, dab at free.fr wrote:

> hi
>  I do not know if this test has already been posted on the list

Several times.

>  Why these bad performances ?
>  http://www.alrond.com/en/2007/jan/25/performance-test-of-6-leading-
> frameworks/

Yes, it's slower. But let's just look at one figure there in a real
world context:

Catalyst: req/s 132.96

That's:

roughly 480,000 req/hour
roughly 11 milion req/day
roughly 330 million req/month

If your site's doing that many requests a month, and you can't afford
to move off one machine, your site's revenue model is seriously
screwed. The last site I worked on that did a quarter billion plus a
month did it on 40 servers!

On top of that, of course, that presupposes all your users are
accepting data as fast as you can throw it at them: rarely, if ever,
is that the case. So, the question is, if the road you're on is
limited to 70mph, does it matter if you're driving a car that'll do
110 or 230? Choose one that you're comfortable driving :)
Mike Whitaker - mike at altrion.org