[Catalyst] Re-enable digest mode?

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Fri Jan 11 17:45:27 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 09:52:58AM -0500, Lampert, Hugh wrote:
> Up until this week I was receiving the Catalyst list e-mails in digest form.  This week I'm getting individual e-mails.  When I checked the list server options it told me digest mode had been disabled by the administrator.  It's hard for me to process multiple individual e-mails from the Catalyst list along with my other e-mail; is there any way digest mode could be re-enabled?

No.

People consistently sign up to digests and then reply to them, spamming the
list with a day's worth of messages for a second time and blowing away any
hope of threading.

You can get a feed from

http://grokbase.com/group/catalyst@lists.scsys.co.uk?format=atom

(which being a Catalyst-powered site is probably going to archive this
list pretty much indefinitely :)

or you can configure your mail setup to siphon the messages off into a
folder. Both approaches will give you all the advantages of digests without
leaving us with the traffic/noise disadvantages.

A mailing list lives and dies by the quality of its postings (and for every
one digest user there are dozens more people searching the archives), so
disabling digests was a conscious choice to optimise for signal/noise ratio.

If you don't have a useful mail client and don't want to take a feed, I have
a (somewhat hacky) script I use to handle sorting that needs nothing but an
IMAP connection to talk down (and some perl :); I'll send a copy on request.