[Catalyst] Documentation on DBIx Class

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Jan 18 21:49:45 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:47 -0800, Mesdaq, Ali wrote:
> I have to just rant a bit about that. The most difficult thing about
> catalyst is trying to learn dbic. I love dbic and how clean it can make
> working with the data layer but because of the documentation its hard to
> wrap ur head around to just fully know how it works and what to expect.
> I am not a full time web developer so I use catalyst for about a week or
> two then work on other projects then go back to catalyst a few weeks
> later and realize I need to re-learn all the dbic stuff again. The
> simple stuff is easy but the many to many is poorly documented in my
> opinion so it makes grasping that concept a little hard. I know for the
> life of me I can't ever remember how to setup the relationships for many
> to many tables and I need to look at old files then read the docs then
> test it out then relook at everything again.
>
> Maybe the examples just need some more schema examples because the cd
> example is too simple so its hard to see how it could be used in more
> complex situtations. Thats just my rant from a perl guy who is a
> catalyst beginner.

I think the book takes a pretty good approach with DBIx::Class.  Chapter
5 really covers the "advanced" stuff, and the rest shows you how to use
it in simple CRUD applications.

But, kd and I were planning on writing a better tutorial.  When he's
back from vacation, we'll get started... maybe that will help everyone
out.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway