[Catalyst] REST - like uri design for CRUD

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Sun Jan 20 22:11:04 GMT 2008

On Jan 20, 2008, at 1:33 PM, Thomas L. Shinnick wrote:
> At 01:56 PM 1/20/2008, Zbigniew Lukasiak wrote:
>> /class/search
>> /class/id/1111/view
>> /class/id/1111/update
>> /class/create
>
> <spew register="pedant">
> One important topic in the book is that people mix 'verbs' into
> their URIs when they shouldn't, or at least when they don't _have_
> to.  Using the book's concepts your URIs would become
>
> 1)  GET    /class?pattern=breadbox
> 2)  GET    /class/id/1111
> 3)  PUT    /class/id/1111
> 4)  POST /class
>  </spew>

Clipped a bunch. This is great food for thought. I am missing in this
scheme how you would know to serve the form for updating. That seems
to be the real point of /class/id/1111/update. I suppose that should
be /class/id/1111/edit instead and it would, if it could, properly PUT
the form to /class/id/1111, yes?

-Ashley