[Catalyst] warning

Octavian Rasnita orasnita at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:07:25 GMT 2008

From: "Carl Johnstone" <catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk>

>> My site is accessed with 2 different domain names, and the app must send
>> a cookie that specify a domain, because otherwise Firefox doesn't send
>> the cookie back to the server.
>
> I've given you an answer to that problem once. Redirect domain2.com to
> domain1.com and only serve your site through domain1.com
>
> You can't use the same cookies on both domains, which means that a users
> state will be changing if they switch between domain1 and domain2. You SEO
> will be better because all your pages and traffic are concentrated on the
> same domain.

Yes I know that, and I would also like to not need using 2 domain names.
My colleagues access the site in intranet with a local IP (192.168...) and
the public access it on another public IP.
Our sysadmin told me that this way is better because we won't make traffic
(and slow down) on the public network interface.
And he also told me that he cannot assign a single domain name that points
to 2 different IP addresses, because we have a single DNS. He told that yes,
if we would have 2 DNS, he could make one work for the intranet and one for
the internet access, but it is not the case.

> I can't think of any reason why you should be serving the same site on
> different domains.
>
> Note (before somebody pulls me up again) that different white-labelled
> sites based on the same app is a different situation.
>

> As far as your problem with Firefox - I don't get that here! Here's the
> raw cookie as returned in the HTTP Response from our app in the production
> environment:
>
> Set-Cookie: men_session=79e37a10cd324c8ac0761e90c7f73b37bb0161bd; path=/;
> expires=Wed, 06-Feb-2008 13:45:26 GMT
>
> We've never had any problems with sessions and Firefox, we use them for
> flash messages as well as tracking authenticated sessions.
>
> Carl

Hmm, this is strange. Does it happends the same if the cookie doesn't
contain an expiry date? The cookies I set uses

cookies_expire => 0,

because I want them be valid only until the browser is closed.

If you have also tried with this kind of cookies and it works in Firefox,
please tell me the version of Firefox.

One of our clients told that it doesn't work the login, and I thought that
the problem could be the fact that the cookie doesn't send a domain name.
I've put the app to send a domain name in the cookie, and it told us that
now it works.
I will try to find what version of Firefox he uses because it may be an
older one, or... I don't know what could be the problem if it works in your
case.

Thank you.

Octavian