[OT] network traffic and DNS servers (was: Re: [Catalyst] warning)

Kiki kiki at bsdro.org
Wed Jan 23 15:23:38 GMT 2008

Octavian Rasnita wrote:
> From: "Carl Johnstone" <catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk>
>
>>> My site is accessed with 2 different domain names, and the app must
>>> send a cookie that specify a domain, because otherwise Firefox
>>> doesn't send the cookie back to the server.
>>
>> I've given you an answer to that problem once. Redirect domain2.com
>> to domain1.com and only serve your site through domain1.com
>>
>> You can't use the same cookies on both domains, which means that a
>> users state will be changing if they switch between domain1 and
>> domain2. You SEO will be better because all your pages and traffic
>> are concentrated on the same domain.
>
> Yes I know that, and I would also like to not need using 2 domain names.
> My colleagues access the site in intranet with a local IP (192.168...)
> and the public access it on another public IP.
> Our sysadmin told me that this way is better because we won't make
> traffic (and slow down) on the public network interface.
> And he also told me that he cannot assign a single domain name that
> points to 2 different IP addresses, because we have a single DNS. He
> told that yes, if we would have 2 DNS, he could make one work for the
> intranet and one for the internet access, but it is not the case.

I don't know if this applies to your network setup, still:

1. If the public and the private IP are on the same physical host, the
packets coming from your LAN won't "make traffic" on the public
interface (i.e. they won't take out of your external bandwith).

2. If your nameservers run BIND9, you can serve different zone files to
different networks from the same nameserver using the "view" feature:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/networking/news/views_0501.html
http://www.openaddict.com/node/30

HTH