[Catalyst] How to help with the wiki migration?

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:49:33 GMT 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 10:47 PM, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:

> argh my finger slipped and sent it :(
>
> Some naive questions:
>
> 1.  What is the goal of the wiki/site migration.

Largely, the over-arching goal is to  get a better web presence for the
Catalyst project.  For a web framework, our presence is remarkably non-web.
The wiki migration is one step.  We'll also be working on some static
content and unifying everything we can under the Catalyst domain.

More narrowly, my desired goal of the wiki project is to refresh the
content, make sure it is all relevant, up to date and clean.  I have no
opinion on getting rid of Trac.  If people wanted to keep Trac, I'd still
suggest this route but it makes more sense to run this on a Catalyst wiki
and help build a Catalyst app that we can really showcase.

> 2.  How do I get a login for the new wiki at http://catwiki.toeat.com

Through the register link.  Please, if you do register, do not just blindly
copy data from Trac and format it.  Read it, apply some logic.  If you are
not qualified to go, "is this valid?" leave it and pick up something else.
There are a lot of pages, and a lot of it is easy to verify.  You don't have
to rewrite the copy, just rewrite any inaccurate and out of date bits.

> 3.  Once I've got a login, what do you want me to do?  Where is the
> best place for me to get instructions?

There isn't a good place for instructions, but if you are looking for
specifics and/or guidance we have #catalyst-site open now that is dedicated
to this movement.  This isn't a forked channel, this is simply a low-noise
JFDI channel while this is happening.  I'm hoping that we can get a document
for guiding the effort, but it may not happen because it could take longer
to write it than to do it.

The general rules of thumbs:
1) Look at the content closely.  Examine it for accuracy
2) Use the hierarchy.  MojoMojo supports "directories" for lack of a better
term.  /GettingStarted/Tutorial/Page1 is a good idea.  We have fromtrac/ for
the content that needs categorization and editing, and you can play with
hierarchy layouts there.  As an example, we have
fromtrac/testing/testwebexample1, etc.  Good categorization, but the title
may be more cleanly written as testing/examples/Web1.  These are things
we're simply going to have to play around with and see what fits best.
3) If you find a bug in MojoMojo, report to the ml or ping marcus or
myself.  Patches welcome.
4) If you find a bug in the formatter, report it to me or t0m on
#catalyst-dev

There will be some design work on the wiki to make the page look closer to
the Catalyst site in its current form.  This should help for getting
additional formatting, so stay tuned.  If you think you want some additional
formatting, like what we're doing on the main page, please discuss it with
us so we can create the CSS rules.

Thanks,
-J