[Catalyst] warning

Carl Johnstone catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk
Wed Jan 23 17:22:50 GMT 2008

> Our sysadmin told me that this way is better because we won't make traffic
> (and slow down) on the public network interface.

Marginal, you'd need to be doing *a lot* of data transfer. I think our data
transfer at our ISP maxes out at around 12Mbps on an average lunch time -
well below the 100Mpbs a poor network can do.

> And he also told me that he cannot assign a single domain name that points
> to 2 different IP addresses, because we have a single DNS. He told that
> yes, if we would have 2 DNS, he could make one work for the intranet and
> one for the internet access, but it is not the case.

Use HOSTS files on the local machines to override the DNS IP?

> cookies_expire => 0,
>
> If you have also tried with this kind of cookies and it works in Firefox,
> please tell me the version of Firefox.

I've it on my dev setup and it works on current Firefox 2, however checking
the raw cookie and it's setting a time of 2 hours, so I think something else
is going on. I've not got time to dig further at the moment.

Carl