[Catalyst] LDAP

Carl Johnstone catalyst at fadetoblack.me.uk
Thu Jan 24 15:05:47 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've been playing around with the LDAP stuff in Catalyst, we have a need to
share user data externally for authentication reasons and currently believe
LDAP is a good solution for this.

To this end I've got C:P:Auth:Store:LDAP correctly authenticating users
against a LDAP database. I've also got C:Model:LDAP pulling users out of the
DB so that we can display names next to user-submitted content.

Now to get to this stage I've got two lots of configuration, and effectively
two chunks of code doing very similar jobs. I now need to add a custom
method, and can't see anyway outside of doing it twice.

Next up I want to link my DBIC schema to the LDAP stuff so I can
automatically inflate users, however on this project we have some chunks of
code that work outside Catalyst using the same schema, so I can't link them
to the Catalyst Model. Ideally what I need here is some kind of generic ORM
layer, an a thinner Catalyst Model which uses it.

So anybody else got any experiences to share here? Is there some easy way to
achieve what I want that I've missed? Anybody got code to share?

Thanks

Carl