[Catalyst] OT: YUI v Ext JS

Peter Karman peter at peknet.com
Sat Jan 26 02:07:33 GMT 2008

Ashley wrote on 1/25/08 6:44 PM:

> * Does Ext JS's grid have all the same goodies as YUI's DataTable?

I haven't used Ext yet. But have you looked at:
http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_cellediting.html
?

> * Is Ext JS completely stable across IE, FF, and Safari (Opera is sort
> of out of scope for this).
>
> * Do YUI's considerable other offerings (I'm looking for a site-wide
> library, not just grids) outweigh the positive aspects of Ext JS?
>
> * Would anyone, knowing *both*, pick YUI over Ext JS?

I can't speak to Ext's stability (though I imagine it's fine considering its
origins) but it seems like a false dilemma. Can't you use both together? Ext
started out as an extension to YUI and still maintains compatability AFAIK. From
the Ext FAQ:

"Your choice of base libraries/adapters will most likely be driven by whether or
not you already use an external library for something that Ext does not provide.
For example, YUI includes some components like a history manager that Ext does
not provide. In that case, you may want to include the YUI adapter.[...]"

I have used the YUI history manager to good effect (see
http://catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2007/7) so if Ext had some widget I really
wanted, I would just use both together.

Peter Karman  .  http://peknet.com/  .  peter at peknet.com