[Catalyst] OT: YUI v Ext JS

Ashley apv at sedition.com
Sat Jan 26 02:14:35 GMT 2008

On Jan 25, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Peter Karman wrote:
> Ashley wrote on 1/25/08 6:44 PM:
>> * Does Ext JS's grid have all the same goodies as YUI's DataTable?
>
> I haven't used Ext yet. But have you looked at:
> http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_cellediting.html
> ?

Yes. Unless I'm missing something those changes are purely client-
side. It took *a lot* of searching to discover someone asking on a
YUI list the same basic question about server-side data updates and
being told, you have to update your own data store however you feel
like.

>> * Is Ext JS completely stable across IE, FF, and Safari (Opera is
>> sort of out of scope for this).
>> * Do YUI's considerable other offerings (I'm looking for a site-
>> wide library, not just grids) outweigh the positive aspects of Ext
>> JS?
>> * Would anyone, knowing *both*, pick YUI over Ext JS?
>
> I have used the YUI history manager to good effect (see http://
> catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2007/7) so if Ext had some widget I
> really wanted, I would just use both together.

This is good advice. My only dilemma in the choosing for this part of
the app is that the manager might say, WTF? I thought we were gonna
use YUI? :)