[Catalyst] Development environments and performance

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Sun Jan 27 05:30:30 GMT 2008

Charlie Garrison <garrison at zeta.org.au> writes:

> It IS possible to run multiple apache/mod_perl processes on one
> machine to support different catalyst apps/versions. It requires use
> of a frontend proxy server but it's easy to setup and works well.
>
> I use that technique for both staging and productions apps on the one
> machine.

I'd like to point out that this is really the only way to run mod_perl
apps.  If you are using the same Apache process for more than one web
app, You're Doing It Wrong (tm).  This is why people like FastCGI;
it's much easier to setup and maintain than multiple Apaches and
mod_perls.

However, if you use backend mod_perl Apaches (instead of FastCGI), you
can use Perlbal as the frontend (without another Apache in the way),
which I find to be enticing.  (However, you can also just point
Perlbal at the "dev server", which is pretty convenient.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway