[Catalyst] OT: YUI v Ext JS

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 15:03:43 GMT 2008

On Jan 25, 2008 6:14 PM, Ashley <apv at sedition.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2008, at 6:07 PM, Peter Karman wrote:
> > Ashley wrote on 1/25/08 6:44 PM:
> >> * Does Ext JS's grid have all the same goodies as YUI's DataTable?
> >
> > I haven't used Ext yet. But have you looked at:
> > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/examples/datatable/dt_cellediting.html
> > ?
>
> Yes. Unless I'm missing something those changes are purely client-
> side. It took *a lot* of searching to discover someone asking on a
> YUI list the same basic question about server-side data updates and
> being told, you have to update your own data store however you feel
> like.
>
> >> * Is Ext JS completely stable across IE, FF, and Safari (Opera is
> >> sort of out of scope for this).
> >> * Do YUI's considerable other offerings (I'm looking for a site-
> >> wide library, not just grids) outweigh the positive aspects of Ext
> >> JS?
> >> * Would anyone, knowing *both*, pick YUI over Ext JS?
> >
> > I have used the YUI history manager to good effect (see http://
> > catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2007/7) so if Ext had some widget I
> > really wanted, I would just use both together.
>

> This is good advice. My only dilemma in the choosing for this part of
> the app is that the manager might say, WTF? I thought we were gonna
> use YUI? :)

Really use ExtJS's Grid.  In the current form YUI's DataTable just isn't
going to cut it and you won't be happy with it.  It's getting attention from
the YUI team, but it won't be for several more releases that it starts to
reach the base feature level that ExtJS has built-in.

Keep in mind that ExtJS can use the YUI adapter, and then you just have to
build the Grid component JS so you don't need the entire (massive) JS kit if
you just want the Grid.  Then your manager is just told it is a YUI-based
widget :)

-J