[Catalyst] Catalyst test server response times.

Ian Docherty catalyst at iandocherty.com
Wed Jan 30 17:03:29 GMT 2008

Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:41:35AM +0000, Ian Docherty wrote:
>   =

>> Ash Berlin wrote:
>>     =

>>> On 30 Jan 2008, at 09:51, Andrew Payne wrote:
>>>
>>>       =

>>> Also possible is that the Catalyst test server is trying to lookup =

>>> your reverse DNS. Are you running with or with out debug enabled on =

>>> the builtin server?=10
>>>       =

>> I have also tried running a Catalyst app from another server and it does =

>> not have the same delay.
>>
>> I am running with debug enabled. (what difference will that make to my =

>> issue?)
>>
>> I have also tried it with the IP address in the URL so that DNS is not =

>> (should not be ?) used.
>> hang on... 'reverse' DNS?
>>
>> YUP. turning debug mode off has a *big* difference.
>> so, what is this reverse DNS thingy doing and how can I turn it off but =

>> leave the other debug on?
>>     =

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup
>
> Incidentally, you are not RMS, so I see no reason why you need to send ma=
il
> to read google for you. Please stop asking trivial, unrelated questions on
> the list, it's a bit unfair to expect people to do basic research for you
> - I'd have left it if you only did it occasionally but it's becoming a ha=
bit
> and I'm hearing people bitch about it regularly now.
>   =

My bad. Heard and understood. (by the way who is RMS?)

On this occasion I was really asking how to stop Catalyst from doing =

the  reverse DNS (which I
understood, but on reading my posting I can see where you are coming =

from) whilst leaving debug mode on.

Let me say that I thank everyone who has helped on this occasion (and =

others) and apologise for
any unnecessary bandwidth.

Regards
Ian