[Catalyst] Catalyst test server response times.

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Jan 30 16:39:57 GMT 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 10:41:35AM +0000, Ian Docherty wrote:
> Ash Berlin wrote:

> >>The only times I've had this happen, it's been DNS issues -- in my
> >>case, dhcpd putting a duff entry in resolv.conf
> >>
> >>YMMV, but worth checking.
> >>
> >>Andrew
> >
> >Also possible is that the Catalyst test server is trying to lookup
> >your reverse DNS. Are you running with or with out debug enabled on
> >the builtin server?
> I have also tried running a Catalyst app from another server and it does
> not have the same delay.
>
> I am running with debug enabled. (what difference will that make to my
> issue?)
>
> I have also tried it with the IP address in the URL so that DNS is not
> (should not be ?) used.
> hang on... 'reverse' DNS?
>
> YUP. turning debug mode off has a *big* difference.
> so, what is this reverse DNS thingy doing and how can I turn it off but
> leave the other debug on?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_DNS_lookup

Incidentally, you are not RMS, so I see no reason why you need to send mail
to read google for you. Please stop asking trivial, unrelated questions on
the list, it's a bit unfair to expect people to do basic research for you
- I'd have left it if you only did it occasionally but it's becoming a habit
and I'm hearing people bitch about it regularly now.