[Catalyst] Malformed class Name & Hidden files

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Wed Jan 30 20:49:22 GMT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Jonathan Rockway wrote:

>> I have traced this down to the fact that my text editor (TextMate)
>> likes to leave hidden files around with similar names as those being
>> edited. For example the above error says something about ._MyAppDB
>> where this a file named MyApp/lib/MyAppDB.pm AND a file MyApp/
>> lib._MyAppDB.pm
>>
>> If i delete the ._* file the server will launch and everything works
>> fine.
>>
>> My question is:
>> Is there a way I can tell the scripts to ignore hidden files?
>
> This issue has come up at least 129387 times in the past.  Please read
> the archives.

Yes, unfortunately it's never been freaking fixed, which is why it's come
up 129387 times (at least). I did submit a patch to Simon Wistow for
Module::Pluggable in September. It made Module::Pluggable ignore editor
junk files by default, though it didn't catch "._*" files (easy enough to
add).

Unfortunately he never responded.

And yes, editors delete the files when they're closed, but in the case of
Emacs, it creates such files _while_ you're editing a buffer, and it's
easy to have your Cat dev server try to load these.

So maybe someone can either A) poke Simon or B) we could subclass
Module::Pluggable and add the fix in there or C) yell at people who
complain about it on the list because they expect the software to do the
right thing.

-dave