[Catalyst] Debugging Catalyst with Eclipse

Dan Dascalescu ddascalescu+catalyst at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 05:43:03 BST 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 2:21 AM, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 11:22:37AM -0600, Nathan Waddell wrote:
>> Matt,
>>  I guess what I'm trying to express is that - in my opinion - there is
>> a learning curve to Catalyst. I think more documentation could ease
>> that learning curve and help people get up to speed faster on how to
>> write, debug, and use Catalyst apps.
>
> What -I'm- trying to express is that all the documentation we have so far has
> been written by volunteers.
>
> We know we could do with ten times as much documentation as we have.
>
>      Matt S Trout       Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class project?

There you go guys:
http://dev.catalyst.perl.org/new-wiki/gettingstarted/howtos/debugging_catalyst_applications.highlight

I managed to get ActiveState Komodo IDE 4.4 to interactively debug
Catalyst applications by running the test script:

    perl -d myapp_test.pl http://mysite.com/troublemaker_url

Komodo IDE is a full-blown debugging IDE and supports all you'd want
from a debugger: stepping through, over, out of subs; watches; call
stack; conditional breakpoints etc. I also wrote on the wiki
instructions on how to debug remotely with Komodo IDE.

NOTE: apparently it's impossible to debug a live Catalyst app, because
Komodo IDE can never pass over a
    while ( accept( Remote, $daemon ) )
loop in Catalyst::Engine::HTTP. Any idea about how to fix/work around that?

Best regards,
Dan Dascalescu