[Catalyst] Catalyst-Devel Patch

Ash Berlin ash_cpan at firemirror.com
Mon Jul 21 15:10:58 BST 2008

On 21 Jul 2008, at 14:37, Todd Rinaldo wrote:

> J, Thanks for the detailed reply. I hadn't thought about the base
> class nature of this class. Catalyst and DBIC are both MAJOR
> development projects. This means their documentation on CPAN gets
> spread broadly over many pages. I admit this is not a problem for most
> modules on CPAN. I suppose my patch was specifically aimed at dealing
> with some of this. I have countless times asked questions on a
> list/IRC which was clearly documented on a page I'd reviewed multiple
> times. Once I knew where to look, the answer was easy.
>
> I am a major fan of wiki, as it's low entry barrier can make it easy
> for the people who most need the information (newbies) to append to
> the docs or clarify the docs once they get their answer. I'll take a
> look at the available wikis. When I'm done, I suspect my comment will
> be, well if this is the best place to put the docs on useability,
> shouldn't we point to it from the POD? This would effectivley allow us
> to separate the design specs related stuff (POD) from the practical
> use (WIKI). What are your thoughts on this approach?
>
> Todd

Generally, the problem with the docs for Catalyst::Helper is that they
are only relevant if you are writing a new helper, not if you are
trying to use it.

I've just re-ordered the POD in Catalyst::Helper a bit, and added a
section linking to common helpers:

   http://dev.catalystframework.org/svnweb/Catalyst/revision?rev=8144

Something similar to what you suggested in your original message might
have a place in Catalyst::Helper::Model::DBIC::Schema (or a link to
the relevant docs there)

-ash