[Catalyst] Users hierarchy

John Tate jt6 at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 10:04:40 BST 2008

> Check out Nested Trees,  Joe Celko has some articles about them.  Mojomojo
> has a pretty complete implementation of one in dbix:class if I remember.

Along the same lines, you could look at "modified pre-order tree
traversal". There's a nice sitepoint article about the method:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/hierarchical-data-database

We use this for walking up and down large hierarchies and pulling out
sub-trees. Building the table is a bit of work initially and modifying
it (which we don't do) will probably need some careful planning, but
accessing the hierarchy like this is quick and easy.

John.