[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Aristotle Pagaltzis pagaltzis at gmx.de
Wed Jun 11 22:23:29 BST 2008

I’m going to preface this by saying sorry for being so negative,
as I know how attached people can get to their creative output…
please keep in mind that I am making these comments in the
interest of improving Cat’s marketing. And I have to agree with
Gabriel that none of these would really attract me to Catalyst.

* Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> [2008-06-11 22:05]:
> (1) http://www.browsing.co.uk/cat

This is the one I would pick, even though it is bland. It looks
like any other current site. But within the current line-up I
would consider that a strength…

> (2) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/cat_mock_web_001.png

The crop circle is a very, very cool idea. However, it goes
astray from there. Using the picture as the basis for a
monochromatic colour scheme was a mistake… murky yellow on
greenish brown is not exactly attractive. I also can’t see how
this layout could be adapted for content-heavy pages. Is that
crop circle shot going to be on every page? If not, the colour
scheme is going to look even worse on other pages. What’s more,
it integrates badly with the Cat logo colours. Lastly, the
gradient in the buttons in the bar at the top is gratuitous and
gives the whole thing a bit of a cheap touch…

> Scott Ladzinski:
>
> (3) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/new-version-2-26.jpg
> (4) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/catalystSiteDesign3.jpg

Did I say gratuitous gradient? Well here the gradients run free
and frolic. Also, where’s the content? How’s it supposed to look?

> Mike Whitaker:
>
> (5) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/catsite-Penfold.pdf

I kinda like that one – I am a minimalist, myself. Only problem
is, there’s not much design there… it’s literally a half-hour
job and it looks that way.

Regards,