[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Tobias Kremer list at funkreich.de
Thu Jun 12 08:48:55 BST 2008

On 11.06.2008, at 23:26, Aristotle Pagaltzis wrote:

> * Christopher H. Laco <claco at chrislaco.com> [2008-06-11 23:05]:
>> I'd much rather see a footer more like this one:
>>
>> http://movabletype.org/
>
> ++
>
> That’s exactly the kind of “what does the first-time visitor
> expect to see/do here?”-driven design (by which I mean the “how
> it works” not the “how it looks” variety) that makes a site
> actually work.

++ and the "how it looks" is much better, too :)

I don't want to sound rude but I don't like any of the proposed
designs. To be honest, from a stilistic point of view they all look
worse than the current Catalyst frontpage. They all pale in comparison
to nearly EVERY other MVC framework's web site. Look at djangoproject.com,
cakephp.org, symfony-project.org, even rubyonrails.org with its
simplistic approach is much more attractive. No offense, but if this
is a glimpse at the future of catalyst.perl.org I'm seriously worried
about the framework's future. This is how to NOT attract new users.

Once again, sorry for being so negative but this just shows how much I
care about Catalyst gaining more attention. I don't know if there's
time for a second round of proposals, but if you ask me we should give
this a little bit more time and try to find alternatives.

Nevertheless, thanks to all contributors for their work!

--Tobias