[Catalyst] Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 12:07:01 BST 2008

Matt S Trout wrote:
> Where possible, please reply with your feedback directly to this post

To add a little to themes that others have brought up; basically some
things to consider in the design.

I have old eyes too, and strong lenses, so I'm all for good size clear
fonts. It's also easier to read dark writing on a light background.
Sites with important content in light writing on a dark background put
me off, especially in fonts with thin, elegant strokes.

I never have my browser window the full width of my screen. I want to be
able to make use of whatever I'm seeing in the browser in some other
window at the same time. So I get very annoyed by sites that are
gratuitously wide and don't gracefully reshape if I change my browser width.

I also get annoyed by sites that don't cope well if I increase the font
size. Either bits of 'text' that don't change size (e.g. flash or
images), or text that overlaps images or other text, or that forces the
window wider.

Finally, I quite often browse with Javascript off, so menus or search
boxes that don't provide HTML fallback are irritating.

HTH, Dave