[Catalyst] Re: Catalyst site design drafts feedback thread

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Thu Jun 12 18:44:44 BST 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 05:00:04PM +0200, Tobias Kremer wrote:
> Point taken! I didn't mean to insult anyone! I'm sorry if that was the
> impression I gave.

Either way it's now corrected :)

> I find it highly problematic and cumbersome to discuss layouts from a graphical
> point of view. One can argue about content, navigation, overall structure and
> other logical things but often the pure design aesthetics just can't be put
> into words. It's an emotional thing, thus my purely emotional response ;-)

I know, but I figure designers are used to interpreting people's best attempts
at putting their feelings into words which makes it worth trying.

> I'll will however try my best to provide some constructive criticism:
>
> (1) http://www.browsing.co.uk/cat
>
> If I had to chose one of the proposals it definitely would be this one. With
> some more polishing it could end up quite nice.
>
> (2) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/cat_mock_web_001.png
>
> I really don't like the "mustard" color scheme which moreover doesn't work
> together with the red catalyst logo. The picture takes up way too much screen
> real estate.
>
> (3) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/new-version-2-26.jpg
> (4) http://ion0.com/hx/cat/catalystSiteDesign3.jpg
>
> Too blurry, too much clumsy shadowing and glowing. Too many colors in (4) that
> don't work together well.
>
> (5) http://agaton.scsys.co.uk/~matthewt/catsite/catsite-Penfold.pdf
>
> Way too simplistic. Fonts are too big.
>
> > I am however, much appreciative that you've provided an example of what
> > you think is better - perhaps you could include an explanation of why you
> > think it's better, though? The point here is I'm presenting -first-
> > -drafts- of ideas. +1/-1 can wait until the final designs are done.
>
> Do you mean the other framework websites or my own proposal?

I was thinking about yours but can I get away with asking for all of the
above? Given myself and kieren both find most of the other sites objectionable
it'd be nice to see why you prefer them.