[Catalyst] shared hosting

KH khultman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 14:31:48 GMT 2008

Here is an example mod_perl apache config.  I run a different apache process
for every mod_perl cat application I run, and just configure them to work as
v-host's - then configure squid to look inward from port 80 and handle the
proxy traffic so it's seamless to users.  I think at the moment I've got
about 15~20 cat apps running on a single xen virtual machine running debian
w/ no problems - but it's not under high load so YMMV.

<VirtualHost *:1181>
    ServerAdmin www+spam at mydomain.tld
    ServerName  www.mydomain.tld
    Alias /static /var/www/www.mydomain.tld/root/static
    PerlOptions +Parent
    PerlSwitches -Mlib=3D/var/www/www.mydomain.tld/lib
    PerlSwitches -I/var/www/www.mydomain.tld/lib
    PerlModule CatApp
    <Location />
        SetHandler modperl
        PerlResponseHandler CatApp
        Order allow,deny
        allow from all
    </Location>
    DocumentRoot /var/www/www.mydomain.tld/root/static
    ErrorLog /var/www/www.mydomain.tld/log/error.log
    LogLevel warn
    CustomLog /var/www/www.mydomain.tld/log/access.log combined
    ServerSignature On
</VirtualHost>

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.com> wrote:

> > From: Jennifer Ahn [mailto:jenahn at stanford.edu]
> >
> >If my catalyst application is not a stand alone application and contains
> features to my non-catalyst application.  Would >that still considered as
> shared hosting?
> >
> >If I would like to host my catalyst application on the same server as my
> non-catalyst app, is fast-cgi the best way to do this?
>
> The main problem with using mod_perl under Apache is that it's a shared
> environment.
> So to run shared hosting you would need one Apache parent per user running
> either on a different port number or different virtual host. That's one
> option.
>
> Another option, which is easier for development, is to run one FastCGI
> instance per application area from a single master Apache configuration.
> In
> that option, each FastCGI instance has a separate memory space so there's
> no
> overlap.
>
> For live hosting, I've found that FastCGI goes haywire about once a month
> and eats CPU until I restart the main Apache server (not been able to
> track
> down why), so for production I prefer to use separate Apache instances.
>
> Regards, Peter
> http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk

> Searchable archive:

-- =

do() || do_not(); // try()
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane
mittam