[Catalyst] shared hosting

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Tue Mar 4 23:45:03 GMT 2008

> From: Jennifer Ahn [mailto:jenahn at stanford.edu]
>
>If my catalyst application is not a stand alone application and contains
features to my non-catalyst application.  Would >that still considered as
shared hosting?

>If I would like to host my catalyst application on the same server as my
non-catalyst app, is fast-cgi the best way to do this?

The main problem with using mod_perl under Apache is that it's a shared
environment.
So to run shared hosting you would need one Apache parent per user running
either on a different port number or different virtual host. That's one
option.

Another option, which is easier for development, is to run one FastCGI
instance per application area from a single master Apache configuration. In
that option, each FastCGI instance has a separate memory space so there's no
overlap.

For live hosting, I've found that FastCGI goes haywire about once a month
and eats CPU until I restart the main Apache server (not been able to track
down why), so for production I prefer to use separate Apache instances.

Regards, Peter
http://perl.dragonstaff.co.uk