[Catalyst] The home page, the wiki and the mailing list

demerphq demerphq at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 18:24:41 GMT 2008

On 07/03/2008, Ali M. <tclwarrior at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to draw the attention or to ask,
>
>  Why is the wiki so poorly maintained, the list of sites and projects
>  using catalyst is really umimpressive, are those really all the
>  project using catalyst? The thing is, from the traffic I see on this
>  mailing list, I really doubt it, and I really wish that these sites
>  and project listed on the wiki are not representative.
>
>  I even visited the NetHorus link from this wiki and beside the fact
>  that this seems like a very small one man show project, the author
>  converged to using RoR because in his own words "Catalyst and
>  DBIx::Class is proving too difficult for me to code, resulting in a
>  lack of progress and the danger of de-motivation"

Yes, thats not brilliant advertising is it :-)

>  Is catalyst being implemented in more serious place, can someone post
>  better links and stories, even the ones on the front page sound
>  ...well ...i wont say not to sound mean ... but "totaly dope"!!! ...
>  really. And who are these people quoted, I googled one or two of them,
>  they are not major contributors to big FOSS project and they dont work
>  for large enterprise, why are they quoted!!

Catalyst is a Perl framework, and within the perl community those
people are well known. If you are trying to suggest that they should
find some celebrity hackers from outside the community to give
endorsements then you might have a point, but you certainly could have
a more diplomatic way to express it.  And frankly within the Perl
community the merits of a recommendation from someone working for
large enterprise will be judged almost entirely on who they are and
not who they work for.

Yves