[Catalyst] The home page, the wiki and the mailing list

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Mar 7 18:51:15 GMT 2008

* On Fri, Mar 07 2008, demerphq wrote:
> Catalyst is a Perl framework, and within the perl community those
> people are well known. If you are trying to suggest that they should
> find some celebrity hackers from outside the community to give
> endorsements then you might have a point, but you certainly could have
> a more diplomatic way to express it.  And frankly within the Perl
> community the merits of a recommendation from someone working for
> large enterprise will be judged almost entirely on who they are and
> not who they work for.

Exactly, the Perl community and the Rails community are different in a
number of ways.  Most Perl hackers don't feel the need to constantly
"remind" other people of how awesome (they think) they are.  The Rails
community is all about constantly talking about themselves.  The sad
reality is that people like to be told what to think rather than
deciding for themselves.  Hence the popularity of Rails.

I think most Perl hackers share my* attitude of "shut the fuck up and
write some code".  That's why we have 15,000 instantly installable
libraries whereas the other language communities have at best 10% of
that (along with a lot of "cut-n-paste this untested monkey patch from
my blog!111").

There is a finite amount of time in the day, you can spend it
programming, or you can spend it inflating your ego.  (Or taking
flamebait on mailing lists ;)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway

[*] Actually, I have to credit one of Jesse Vincent's shirts for this saying. :)