[Catalyst] The home page, the wiki and the mailing list

Jonathan Rockway jon at jrock.us
Fri Mar 7 18:40:51 GMT 2008

* On Fri, Mar 07 2008, Ali M. wrote:
> I just want to draw the attention or to ask,
>
> Why is the wiki so poorly maintained, the list of sites and projects
> using catalyst is really umimpressive, are those really all the
> project using catalyst? The thing is, from the traffic I see on this
> mailing list, I really doubt it, and I really wish that these sites
> and project listed on the wiki are not representative.

I don't know how to break this to you, but 99.9% of web apps are not
Flickr and Reddit.  They're internal applications at companies you've
never heard of.  This is the area where Perl has a lot of penetration
and is where people use Catalyst.

I would say that honestly Rails and the J2EE frameworks are the same
way.  There's the occasional hosted service that you've heard of, then
there are thousands of users you haven't heard of.  This seems to upset
you, but it's the reality of the world.

As for the wiki, work is under way to improve it.  Perhaps you can help.

> I even visited the NetHorus link from this wiki and beside the fact
> that this seems like a very small one man show project, the author
> converged to using RoR because in his own words "Catalyst and
> DBIx::Class is proving too difficult for me to code, resulting in a
> lack of progress and the danger of de-motivation"

Yeah, I would be a really good furniture maker if only I had a better
saw.  Blaming one's tools for one's failures is the oldest excuse in the
book.  I use Catalyst every day and can write expressive, maintainable
apps in no time.  So Catalyst and DBIx::Class probably aren't the issue
there.

There's More Than One Way To Do It.  Not everyone thinks the same
way... not every language or framework is for every person.  Who cares
what other people use, anyway?

> Is catalyst being implemented in more serious place, can someone post
> better links and stories, even the ones on the front page sound
> ...well ...i wont say not to sound mean ... but "totaly dope"!!! ...
> really. And who are these people quoted, I googled one or two of them,
> they are not major contributors to big FOSS project and they dont work
> for large enterprise, why are they quoted!!

This is ignorant.

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway