[Catalyst] The home page, the wiki and the mailing list

Mesdaq, Ali amesdaq at websense.com
Sat Mar 8 01:18:47 GMT 2008

Do you really think people are going to list their projects for their
internal tools and portals on a public website? Yes the wiki is way out
of date and poorly maintained but guess what.... the one we have here at
work is also poorly maintained. That's just the nature of the wiki and I
have complained about it before but until I contribute I can't really
complain any further.

DBIC is confusing if you haven't used ORM or similar techniques. I know
I myself have faced a lot of issues with DBIC not being clear or being
too confusing. But when you sit down and think about writing your own
ORM you quickly realize the beauty of having something like that. But
even if DBIC is too confusing you can always just go back to basic DBD
and write your own logic for find_or_create or insert_or_update.

And I don't think the focus should be on "...post better links and
stories..." for marketing reasons. If anything we just need to document
better probably just use better examples in the documentation. I
personally don't care about the hype factor of catalyst but I do care
about the features and control it provides. But googling people and
saying they shouldn't be quoted is kinda silly in my opinion. That's
like saying who are you to post a message like this on this mailing list
your not qualified to criticize the marketing tactics of Catalyst.

Thanks,
Ali Mesdaq (CISSP, GIAC-GREM)
Security Researcher II
Websense Security Labs