[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Mon Mar 10 08:07:05 GMT 2008

At 9:42 AM +0200 3/10/08, Ali M. wrote:
>The web, blogs, wikis are a great way to publish knowledge, we really
>dont need more books, we more knowledge, more documented knowledge,
>more documentation.
>
>Books are just a way to make money, money makers, that is exploting
>the weakness in the online documentation.
>
>So please, don't be an extortionist, don't make a book ... write a
>wiki page in the new wiki!
>All we really need are more pages on wiki not a book!
>
>But if you insist on writing a book, make a free online version, if
>you have found Catalyst useless, this could be something you are doing
>for Catalyst, like returning a favor or something.

I agree that online documentation is generally better when one wants
an API reference, as its often kept up to date, which is important.

However, I find that sometimes for learning things I like to have a
book that I can then read in various locations that lets me get away
from the computer screen.  Books are preferrable sometimes.

In this particular instance, I prefer reading "the book" on paper
than on screen.

Perhaps best if both versions are provided, with electronic being the
main one and paper ones being available as needed via print on demand.

-- Darren Duncan