[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Ian Sillitoe catalyst at sillit.com
Mon Mar 10 10:20:56 GMT 2008

Ali - I take your point, but I disagree that authors shouldn't write text
books. I like reading good books offline and I appreciate that really good
books take a great deal of time and effort to write. I think it's completely
fair enough that authors of good text books should receive some financial
rewards for taking the time to put their years of experience onto paper so I
don't have to waste my time making the same mistakes. Depending on your job,
a text book costs the same as working for - say between half-hour or a few
hours - either way a good text book will save you way more time than this in
the long term.

I agree that the cost of textbooks can seem pretty high but that's down to
the publishers not the authors (and I presume low circulation of niche
literature). The free docs on CPAN have more than enough to get you up and
running even if you are new to Perl - I would say this is the minimum spec
of any given project and Catalyst more than meets that. Having said that,
I'm sure everyone would agree that there is definitely room for improvement
and that is a job for everyone - novices and hackers alike.

Cheers,

Ian