[Catalyst] So, what do we want in the -next- book?

Matt Pitts mpitts at a3its.com
Mon Mar 10 14:31:59 GMT 2008

I have seen this in some realms or projects, but very, very rarely in
the FOSS community.
Actually, I think it's the opposite in most cases - good, even amazing,
online docs
are created and maintained simply to make the software more popular,
which may ultimately
lead to a commercial license and/or support program that supports the
developers. Example: ExtJS.

Besides, it takes a lot of work to code, document and maintain even an
internal application, much
less one you are releasing to the world. If you take the time to write a
book or even PDF doc and
some folks are willing to pay for it to know your software better, I
don't see anything wrong with
that.

> So please, don't be an extortionist, don't make a book ... write a
> wiki page in the new wiki!
> All we really need are more pages on wiki not a book!

If you think you're being extorted by the purchase of a book then, by
all means,
please don't buy it.

As for me, I'm not a big-time hacker that is a core dev on a very
popular FOSS
web framework, so buying a book is a simple way that I can support the
author's
FOSS intentions and real-world need to feed him/herself and his/her
family.

> But if you insist on writing a book, make a free online version, if

How about free with the purchase of the book.

v/r

-matt pitts