[Catalyst] Can I install the catalyst manual from cpan?

Matt Lawrence matt.lawrence at ymogen.net
Mon Mar 17 11:17:38 GMT 2008

Chisel Wright wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:09:12AM +0000, Chisel Wright wrote:
>
>> The manuals are part of the runtime distribution:
>>
>> http://search.cpan.org/~mramberg/Catalyst-Runtime-5.7012/lib/Catalyst/Manual.pm
>>

> On a related note, I just upgraded Catalyst::Devel and saw:
>
>   Warning: prerequisite Catalyst::Manual 5.7000 not found.
>
> Presumably because the manual module has no version:
>
>   chisel at wiggin:~$ grep -i VERSION `perldoc -l Catalyst::Manual`
>   chisel at wiggin:~$
>
> It also doesn't return a true value - I'm not sure what the deal it with
> POD-only modules and "1;", but I'm sure it can't hurt to have it there,
> can it?

It's almost certainly a mistake to use or require a pod-only module, so
returning false could be seen as a feature. It also appears there's no
package there, so it can't technically be considered a module. In fact,
I just noticed that the Catalyst::Manual in 5.55 is a .pod file.

There's a distribution for Catalyst-Manual, which does have a $VERSION.
This is probably what is being alluded to in Catalyst::Devel

http://search.cpan.org/~jrockway/Catalyst-Manual-5.701003/

Matt