[Catalyst] Chart::Graph::Gnuplot trouble.

Wade.Stuart at fallon.com Wade.Stuart at fallon.com
Thu Mar 20 17:22:28 GMT 2008

Gene Selkov <selkovjr at observercentral.net> wrote on 03/20/2008 08:26:22 AM:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Peter Edwards wrote:
>
> But I would also like a competent answer to this question: what can be
> done to make the "normal" Catalyst code interact with unix processes on
> all 3 channels? I mean, all 3: if a process spews something on stderr,
> I'd like to capture that, consider how severe the message is (unless it
> tells me in the status code) and possibly throw an exception and
> ultimately forward the message to the browser.

I do not get what you are pushing for -- from what I have seen "normal"
catalyst code acts like "normal" perl code,  except when the type of engine
you are using requires its own stdio redirects -- in which case it must
handle these in/outputs differently.

If you want to have full control over the running procs use IPC::Run3,
IPC::Run, IPC::Open3 or one of the other perl modules that afford you
specific controls over the standard filehandles (per exec, system or run),
or use an engine that does not require  hijacking the handles for its own
purposes I do not believe there _can_ be a generalized fix for all engines
-- some _require_ stdio control to function.

-Wade