[Catalyst] Chart::Graph::Gnuplot trouble.

Peter Edwards peter at dragonstaff.com
Fri Mar 21 10:38:34 GMT 2008

Wade wrote:
>I do not get what you are pushing for -- from what I have seen "normal"
>catalyst code acts like "normal" perl code,  except when the type of engine

>you are using requires its own stdio redirects -- in which case it must
>handle these in/outputs differently.
>
>If you want to have full control over the running procs use IPC::Run3,
IPC::Run, IPC::Open3
>or one of the other perl modules that afford you specific controls over the
standard filehandles
>(per exec, system or run), or use an engine that does not require
hijacking the handles for its
>own purposes I do not believe there _can_ be a generalized fix for all
engines
>-- some _require_ stdio control to function.

My scenario is the Catalyst web app is a product control panel and I want to
be able to
1. fork off a /bin/tar to unpack an archive in the customer directory
2. fork off a /bin/mysql and pipe a proforma .sql file into it to create an
application database
In both cases picking up the exit status.
Total time to run these is < 1 second so I'm happy for the web app to wait
on them.

Both of these were hard to do under Catalyst even using IPC::Run.

Regards, Peter