[Catalyst] modperl 1.3 wierdness

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Mon May 5 11:57:21 BST 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 11:19:24PM +1000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 11:22:49PM +0100, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:30:53AM +1000, Toby Corkindale wrote:
> > > Unfortunately due to somewhat unusual app deployment tactics here, apps get
> > > "installed" manually, into their own little area, along with their required
> > > perl dependencies, thus losing the Makefile.PL, but also requiring that the
> > > config file lived in the same non-standard location.
> >
> > How about using
> >
> > __PACKAGE__->config(
> >   'Plugin::ConfigLoader' => {
> >     file => __PACKAGE__->path_to(...)
> >   }
> > );
> >
> > or setting an environment variable?
>
> The location varies depending on build version and status, but could have been
> solved with the env variable part combined with the loader options..
> But at the time it was 8pm at night and I wanted to go home, and hacking up a
> little DIY loader was quicker than trying to figure out what was going wrong
> with the plugin.. You know how it gets sometimes?

Yes, but I've had hacked the app back out of whatever broken-ass deployment
system can't handle a checkout dir -and- doesn't use 'make install' so
Catalyst's "find the config when installed as a normal perl/CPAN dist" logic
didn't work either. Because really, if it can't handle a straight CPAN
module properly deploying perl stuff using it ain't a good idea.