[Catalyst] Basic CRUD Tutorial

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:01:43 BST 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Albert Vernon Smith <avsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have figured out the issue.
>
>  Since the reference installation worked, I obviously had no grander
>  software problem.  I then replaced files one-by-one to find the issue.
>   By doing that, I could see that the file "lib/MyApp/View/TT.pm" was
>  missing a config definition for
>
>  CATALYST_VAR
>
>  Looking at the output from:
>
>  script/myapp_create.pl view TT TTSite
>
>  I can see the line was not added into this file.  So, if I add
>  CATALYST_VAR, I can fix the issue updating to:
>
>     __PACKAGE__->config({
>         CATALYST_VAR => 'Catalyst',
>
>  Now, being new around here, I'm not sure if the non-inclusion of
>  "CATALYST_VAR" in VIew/TT.pm from TTSite output is a "bug" or a
>  "feature".  In any case, it does show an incosistecy between the
>  tutorial documentation and what is happening.   I am working with
>  Catalyst 5.7012.
>
>  -albert
>

>  On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Albert Vernon Smith <avsmith at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > The reference implementation works as it should.  There are not "diff"
>  >  changes between my implementation and the tutorial for both
>  >  "lib/MyApp/Controller/Books.pm", "root/src/books/create_done.tt2".
>  >
>  >  -albert
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >  On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Kieren Diment <diment at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  On 6 May 2008, at 22:16, Albert Vernon Smith wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > > I'm new to Catalyst, and am working my way through the tutorial.  I'm
>  >  > > on the "BasicCRUD" section, and something is not behaving as it
>  >  > > should.  I've gotten to the end of the "FORMLESS SUBMISSION" section,
>  >  > > and entering the URL
>  >  > > < http://localhost:3000/books/url_create/TCPIP_Illustrated_Vol-2/5/4>
>  >  > > works as advertised, entering an appropriate record into the database.
>  >  > >
>  >  > > However, the link for "Return to list" (coming from the
>  >  > > 'create_done.tt2' template) points to itself
>  >  > > (<http://localhost:3000/books/url_create/TCPIP_Illustrated_Vol-2/5/4>)
>  >  > > rather than (<http://localhost:3000/books/list>).
>  >  > >
>  >  > > The 'create_done.tt2' template includes:
>  >  > >
>  >  > >
>  >  > > However, this function doesn't seem to be building the appropriate
>  >  > > URI.  I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.2, and built Catalyst yesterday from CPAN
>  >  > > using the system Perl.
>  >  > >
>  >  > > I can't rule out that I did something silly, but I went through this
> [...]

I'm not too familiar with the tutorial, or TTSite, but the standard
Catalyst var entry is simply "c" for just Catalyst::View::TT on its
own.  Some other folks use "ctx", but I think "c" is the standard
default.

You can set it to any value that you like, but it is something to be
mindful of if you bounce between other apps, or apps that others have
written (like the plethora of examples in svn).

-J